Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Buffering Marijuana dispensers - Exam

Dear LA City Council, I would like to express my agreement with the idea about the institution of the 1,000 feet buffer law from the marijuana dispensers.

I thought the idea was very unlikely to be realized because of the limites space in the urban tissue, but considering four kinds of locations:

- Schools;

- Churches;

- Recreation areas;

- Public Libraries;

- Public Parks;

Only 3 of these public facilities and institutions resulted within the 500 feet boundaries,

While more than 22 of these resulted in the requested 1,000 feet buffer, as you can see in the selection.

The reason is that I think as a Geographer that such an objective is practically impossible to realize. The buffers of all the locations involved, such as public libraries, schools, recreation centers.

I would rather suggest to transform the buffer into a 500 feet buffer zone from all those five locations. In this way the changes for retailers should be acceptable, rather than changing locations for all the 5 typologies of locations and the retailers/dispensers themselves




Reasons to modify the current law proposal of 1,000 feet buffering from Medical Marijuana Dispensers


1 comment:

  1. I wanted to Write that I disagree with the proposal of 1,000 feet buffer zone,
    and I consider a better idea creating a 500 feet buffer zone rather than that...

    ReplyDelete